Senior Director or Development
Published on 09/12/2023Oklahoma Baptist University - Shawnee, OK
OBU Mission Statement
OBU transforms lives by equipping students to pursue academic excellence, integrate faith with all areas of knowledge, engage a diverse world, and live worthy of the high calling of God in Christ.
Oklahoma Baptist University achieves its mission through a shared commitment to the following expectations. All employees are expected to embrace these expectations and to model them in their behavior.
• Commitment to the essentials of the Christian faith
• Commitment to the vision and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University
• Commitment to active membership in a local evangelical church
• People are treated with dignity and respect
• Relationships are built on honesty, integrity, and trust
• Excellence is achieved through teamwork, leadership, and a strong work ethic.
LOCATION OPTIONAL: OBU (OKLAHOMA BAPTIST UNIVERSITY) Advancement position based in a surrounding area near Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas with some remote work capabilities. Candidates who wish to reside in other locations such as Oklahoma City, Shawnee, or southern Oklahoma will not be excluded from consideration.
Oklahoma Baptist University is seeking a candidate who will play a significant role in the life transforming experience for our students, and for those they will serve in our communities, cities, nation, and world. Our students learn how all knowledge connects and how that framework can be informed by a thoughtful Christian worldview.
The Senior Director of Development for Oklahoma Baptist University serves as a major gifts officer and integral team member in the Office of University Advancement. As a member of the advancement team, the successful candidate will cultivate relationships with alumni, corporations, foundations, and other key constituent prospects to solicit and close major gifts for OBU. This position will also work to solicit annual gift contributions while working with university leadership and academic deans and chairs to coordinate funding of special programs and projects. The person fulfilling this role will focus on advancement outreach for a specific geographical area. Additional prospects related to project or program campaigns may also reside in other territories. Donor cultivation, targeted prospecting and outreach, stewardship activities, and community collaboration will be important components to success.
The individual filling this position must have a passion for fundraising and alumni engagement. He/she must be able to motivate and support board members, staff, volunteers, and donors to reach targeted annual fundraising goals. The ability to identify and cultivate key relationships, be held accountable to productivity standards, and solicit significant gifts is essential. This position reports to the Vice President for University Advancement.
Job Role and Responsibility
• Advance the mission, vision, and goals of the University
• Work closely with the Vice President for Advancement to execute advancement priorities
• Serve as a member of the University advancement team and participate in prospect management and prospect strategy meetings
• Create and maintain a dynamic portfolio of 125-150 high net worth individuals and priority corporate prospects
• Secure major gifts and perform to or exceed agreed upon established goals
• Assist the Vice President for Advancement and team in developing program funding priorities and related cases for support
• Create and execute fund raising plans that utilize best practices in major giving including identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors
• In coordination with team members in University Advancement, develop and execute an annual operating plan with accountable monthly and quarterly monetary and activity goals
• Assist with other development projects as needed in cooperation with the University President and other university leaders
• Serve as an exemplary University advocate in the community, with local leaders, alumni organizations, business and corporate partners, and other leaders and key constituents
• Travel is required: The Senior Director of Development must be willing to travel extensively in his or her work with donors and as a representative of the University. This position will also require you to spend time on the OBU campus as needed for meetings and interaction with university colleagues.
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Ability to communicate information and ideas in an outstanding manner both in oral and written form and possess excellent public speaking skills
• Self-starter who requires little supervision to succeed
• Record of leadership and accomplishment with proven fundraising success
• Campaign planning and execution experience in major gift solicitations
• Evidence of successful solicitation of major gifts
• History of quality fundraising performance
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with team/volunteers
• Must have exceptional follow-up and time management skills
• Detail oriented and flexible with job duties
• Strong organizational and leadership capabilities
• Exemplary interpersonal skills working with volunteers and donors
• Able to handle stressful situations in a fast-paced environment
• Possess high standards of conduct, integrity, appearance, and attitude
• Proficient with Microsoft Office and experience with fundraising software and tools
• Able to travel frequently and attend evening or weekend events/meetings occasionally
Qualifications, Experience and Education
• Required: Bachelor’s Degree
• Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, or related field
Five plus years of experience displaying the capability of working effectively with high net-worth individuals, couples, and business leaders with a proven record of accomplishment of soliciting and closing major gifts in the five and/or six figure range in fundraising is preferred. Higher education fundraising experience will be prioritized and highly valued.
Additionally, the ability to work effectively on a team and with many diverse constituencies in a university environment should be evident. Other important characteristics include a strong work ethic, competitive nature, personal integrity, emotional intelligence, a sense of humor, excellent communication and organizational skills, strategic thinking and planning skills, and a commitment to the mission and values of Oklahoma Baptist University. Evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth is also desired.
Please apply using the link for “Administrative Applications” on the OBU website at https://www.okbu.edu/hr/jobs.html .
About Oklahoma Baptist University
Who We Are:
Oklahoma Baptist University (OBU) is a fully accredited Christian liberal arts university in Shawnee, 30 minutes east of Oklahoma City. Founded in 1910, the campus encompasses just under 300 beautiful acres and offers 80 areas of study. OBU transforms students’ lives by equipping them to pursue academic excellence, integrate faith with all areas of knowledge, engage a diverse world, and live worthy of the high calling of God in Christ. We achieve our mission through a shared commitment to the essentials of the Christian faith, our vision and mission, and active participation in local evangelical churches. OBU believes that all people must be treated with dignity and respect. Relationships are built on honesty, integrity, and trust. Finally, we believe that excellence is achieved through teamwork, leadership, and a strong work ethic. Come join us and work with a purpose, where faith is the heart of education.
Location500 W University Drive, Shawnee, OK 74804